The hot dry weather is expected to continue, with temperatures increasing over the week. Wind gusts are expected to continue through today and tomorrow, and will then be subsiding a little.
Short term forecast for Sooke
Today 12/09 100%
Periods of rain. High 9C. Winds NE at 10 to 15 km/h. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall near 12mm.
Tomorrow 12/10 20%
Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 8C. Winds W at 10 to 15 km/h.
Tuesday 12/11 100%
Rain. High 9C. Winds W at 15 to 30 km/h. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall possibly over 25mm.
Wednesday 12/12 50%
Chance of Rain
Partly cloudy early then becoming cloudy with periods of light rain later in the day. High 8C. Winds WSW at 15 to 30 km/h. Chance of rain 80%.
If you spot a fire, please call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone. Sooke fire can be reached at 250-642-5422. Other local fire station phone numbers are listed below.
Wildfire prevention is a shared responsibility. It includes preventing wildfires, FireSmart, and pro-active fuel management across the landbase.
FireSmart is a national initiative to help property owners and communities understand the ways in which wildfire might threaten structures and property located in, and close to, forested and wildland areas, and the steps individuals and communities can take to reduce the susceptibility of buildings and property to fire.
- Clearing all plants and other vegetation from within 10m of a structure
- Ensuring that there are no trees or other vegetation overhanging the roof
- When planting new trees consider planting deciduous species such as birch and aspen
- Wear sun screen and drink lots of water
- If you smoke, deal with your butts responsibly (which most do, and for that … Thank you!)
- Be vigilent. If you have concerns about smoke, please call
- No campfires or beach fires or open burning of any kind
The latest fire danger rating:
To report a wildfire, please call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone. Local non-emergency numbers (in case of emergency, please phone 9-1-1):
- Sooke Fire Department: 250-642-5422
- Otter Point Fire Department: 250-642-6211
- Shirley Fire Department: 250-646-2107
- Port Renfrew Fire Department 250-647-0101
- East Sooke Fire Department: 250-642-4411
- Burning regulations in Sooke (Opening burning allowed from Oct 1 to May 31, but please refer to these regulations for specific details)
- Follow Government Fire Info on Twitter
- Follow Government Fire Info on Facebook
Comments on the .INFO site are now closed. To add a comment, please visit this article on the .CA site, at http://sooke.pocketnews.ca/hot-dry-weather-continues-please-be-fire-aware/