From the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue (RCMSAR) – Station 37 Sooke
MAYDAY — Vessel sinking with 5 persons on-board near Sheringham Lighthouse. RCMSAR Station Sooke on water training. Rushed to scene.
April 23, 2017 – 1409h
Three Vessels of Opportunity arrived on-scene. Vancouver Island Lodge was able to extract four persons from the boat and begin a tow before RCMSAR Station Sooke arrived.
Once on-scene we assisted the Captain, who stayed with the vessel and began using a de-watering pump to help stop the ingress of water. We also took over the tow from Vancouver Island Lodge who then quickly took the 4 persons back to Sooke while we dealt with the sinking vessel.
Our de-watering pump can handle 400 litres/minute. The level of water coming in was just maintained at that rate.
Thank you to Vancouver Island Lodge and Ryan Chamberland for the quick response and assistance.
Other recent call-outs
- Concerned citizen triggers Search and Rescue callout for paddle boarders
- SAR Station 37 called to escort Tribal Journey First Nations canoe into Sooke
- Mayday call sees six rescued from a sinking vessel
- Three lives saved in a Sooke Basin Mayday call
- Sooke’s Search and Rescue Station 37 secures District funding
- Sooke’s marine search and rescue hit the water for two call-outs on Victoria Day
- This rigorous marine rescue training can take your breath away
- Sooke Search and Rescue help a vessel in distress against the rocks
- Cold water survival training RCMSAR Station #37 (Sooke), plus more
- RCMSAR Station 37 (Sooke) respond immediately to Mayday: Vessel taking on water
- Sooke Community Grants: Legion gets $10,000, and Council remains within their $50,000 budget
- Search and Rescue Station 37: Recent call out, and open house invitation
- Sooke, Victoria SAR stations awarded for their role in the 2015 Race Rocks rescue
- Sooke SAR recues missing person, Goodridge Island
- Station 37 (Sooke) Search and Rescue assisted 36′ sailing vessel
- Information update on the two missing men, RCMP and RCM-SAR 37
- ICYMI CTV News VI Video: Sooke to become training hub for BC rescuers
- RCM-SAR interviewing rescue crew shortly
- It’s “Giving Tuesday” … Please consider Sooke’s Search and Rescue
- In their own words: Sooke’s SAR on the assist of the capsized boat
- Sooke Search and Rescue assist with capsized boat
- Sooke SAR Station 37 called to help kayaker on Remembrance Day
- Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue
- Search and Rescue seek hiker in Sombrio
- Video: Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue, East Sooke