Updated on May 31, 2015
Originally posted on April 28, 2015 (below)
UPDATE: We are pleased to announce that Bart van den Berk’s historical book, The History of Leechtown, Part I: The VIEE and the Discovery of Gold on the Sooke and Leech Rivers, received honourable mention in the BC Historical Federation’s (BCHF) Historical Writing Competition.
One of Sooke’s writers, Bart van den Berk, has been short-listed in the BC Historical Federation’s (BCHF) Historical Writing Competition for his book, The History of Leechtown, Part I: The VIEE and the Discovery of Gold on the Sooke and Leech Rivers
Of the finalists listed below, the winner will be announced at the British Columbia Historical Federation Conference Book Awards Reception on Saturday, May 23, 2015 at the Billy Barker Casino Hotel in Quesnel, BC.
The BCHF’s 2015 conference is a three-day event offered in partnership with the Quesnel & District Museum and Archives.
The conference takes place in the community of Quesnel, BC in the Cariboo District of British Columbia, Canada. Located nearly evenly between the cities of Prince George and Williams Lake, it is on the main route to northern British Columbia and the Yukon.
Tickets are available for purchase online.
- Blood and Sweat Over the Railway Tracks: Chinese Labourers Constructing the Canadian Pacific Railway (1880-1885) by Lily Siewsan Chow (UBC & Chinese Canadian Historical Society of BC) (The featured image is the cover of this book.)
- Echoes of British Columbia: Voices From the Frontier by Robert Budd (Harbour Publishing)
- From the West Coast to the Western Front: British Columbians and the Great War by Mark Forsythe and Greg Dickson (Harbour Publishing)
- The History of Leechtown, Part I: The VIEE and the Discovery of Gold on the Sooke and Leech Rivers, editor Bart van den Berk (VandeBerk-Books)
- Live at the Commodore: The Story of Vancouver’s Historic Commodore Ballroom by Aaron Chapman (Arsenal Pulp Press)
- Surveying Southern British Columbia: A Photojournal of Frank Swannell, 1901-07 by Jay Sherwood (Caitlin Press)
- Written as I Remember It: Teachings (??ms ta?aw) from the Life of a Sliammon Elder by Elsie Paul (UBC Press)
Bart van den Berk’s book is locally for sale for $22 at the Barking Dog Studio, the Sooke Regional Museum, Sooke Harbour House, the Reading Room, and the Sooke River Store.
- “Easy on the Eyes” author celebrates second anniversary with a book signing
- Sooke author shares air disaster experience in her new book, Bracing for Impact
- Sooke’s Writers’ Collective releases second anthology
- UPDATED: Sooke author short-listed in the BCHF Historical Writing Competition